We are pleased to announce that Music-Makers will be returning to the West End of Glasgow for a new series of concerts, beginning in March 2011, at a new venue. Our first concerts in 1995 were at another West End venue, the Cottier Theatre, so it is with real excitement that we look forward to being back on our home patch, famously described by an MP in a pre-election speech as "the UK's most cultured square mile".
Our chosen venue is St Bride's Episcopal Church, Kelvinside where music has long played an important part. Due to its fine acoustic and historic organ, it already has a thriving concert life with many visiting choirs and chamber groups, including the BBC SSO Club, NYOS, McFall's Chamber and the Auricle Ensemble, and is a popular choice during the West End Festival.
However, it is only recently that the church has acquired a professional standard piano, a Steinway Model D concert grand. The piano was previously in the loving ownership of Milngavie Music Club but due to a change of venue, which cannot accommodate the instrument, they reluctantly decided to sell it. It was fortuitous that St Bride's was able to purchase the instrument and thus ensure that it remains in service to professional music-making.
A familiar landmark with its distinctive square tower, the church was consecrated on 1st February 1915. Its earliest work was by the noted English architect G F Bodley, whose early commissions included Queen's College chapel, Cambridge, but due to a combination of poor workmanship and lack of funds, Bodley's designs were never fully realised. The present church is largely the work of the Edinburgh architect, H O Tarbolton, including the tower, Lady Chapel and north aisle. The south aisle has yet to be built! This gives the interior of the church its distinctive shape and, it is thought, contributes to its excellent acoustic. Further information at www.stbride.org.uk